The state's banker
* elected for 4 years
* acts as the banker for the state, invests $22 billion in state
money to make more money
* runs the sale of state bonds
* heads up several commissions related to state bonds
PHIL ANGELIDES - Democrat
* Age: 41
* Lives in Sacramento
"I am an experienced businessman with proven financial skills -- not a
career politician. I built a nationally respected company, created
30,000 jobs and convinced Apple Computer to keep jobs in California.
I am endorsed by law enforcement groups and business leaders of
* Invest our tax dollars wisely, cut government waste and fight corruption.
* Rebuild our state by investing more in California.
* Protect tax dollars needed to improve education, build a strong economy
and fight crime.
MATT FONG - Republican
* Age: 40
* Lives in Hacienda Heights
"I have the necessary financial, business and legal experience. I am the
vice chairman of the State Board of Equalization, a USAF Academy
graduate, business attorney and MBA. I started my own business and
am a regent of Pepperdine University, on the Investment and Finance Committee."
* Create and keep jobs in California.
* Stop wasteful government spending with my Taxpayer Protection Plan
(call 1-800-MATT-FONG for a copy.)
* Invest taxpayer money for the greatest possible return and increase
investments into California.
JON PETERSEN - Libertarian
* Age: 56
* Lives in San Jose
"I am an experienced manager and leader. At work, I track how money is
being spent. I have been treasurer of many groups and have brought our
state party out of debt. I know how to get more for your dollars and cut
* Make sure that all Treasury employees treat the public with courtesy
* Run the Treasurer's office as a shining example for other agencies.
* Restore California's credit rating to AAA.
return to the Easy Reader Voter Guide main page
return to the 1994 Online Voter Guide main page
The material included in this voter guide is archived and will not be updated. Please visit the California Voter Foundation's homepage for the most current information and resources.
© California Voter Foundation 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 & 1998